“Sports have always been a new opportunity for everyone and one can build on yesterday’s success putting failures behind and start over again”.
“Rural Olympics” is one of the prevalent examples that have maintained the spirit of sports by instigating the sports festival every year at Kila Raipur near Ludhiana in Punjab, India.
Kila Raipur is famous village positioned in east Punjab and is the organizer of annual Kila Raipur sports festival which is popularly famed with the name “Rural Punjab Olympics”.
• Philanthropist, Inder Singh Grewal in 1933 presented the idea of frivolous meet that concluded the farmers from the village Kila Raipur for testing their physical fortitude and this gave rise to the Kila Raipur Sports or Rural Olympics.
• His aim was to provide a platform for boys and girls, men and veterans for exhibiting their expertise not in recognized sports but also in traditional sports.
• This festival has become an international event at present from a toddler to frolicking and enthusiastic youthful establishment.
• The main attraction of this unique sport festival includes Bullock Cart Race, Horse race and Tractor Race which are the most eye-catching sports from all other sports in the festival and the winner of these races gets a huge cash prize.
• The Unconventional activities concludes using of teeth for lifting bricks or bicycles, car or tractor dragging with use of ear and teeth, riding bicycle with burning wheels, lying under a moving tractor and many other stunts that looks horrible to see for the viewers but very entertaining stunts.
• Cultural programs of Punjab also take place that enhances the knowledge of foreigners about the festival and traditions of Punjab.
• This festival not only supports the spirit of sports but also maintains the spirit of Punjab that is its cultural importance which is the enjoyable performances of the folk dancers that entails Gidha and Bhangra.
• Rural Olympics or Kila Raipur Sports Festival in 2016 is going to be held from 4th February to 7th February.
Want to witness this unique festival. Click Here